Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
Chris Leighton Faculty Page
University of Minnesota
421 Washington Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Bachelor of Science (Hons.), 1st Class, Physics, University of Durham, UK (1994).
Ph.D in Condensed Matter Physics, University of Durham, UK (1998).
Post-doc in Materials Physics, UC San Diego (1998 – 2001, with I.K. Schuller).
Amundson Chair-Holder in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2014 - present).
Distinguished McKnight University Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2014 - present).
Professor of Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2011 – present).
Director of Undergraduate Studies in Mat. Sci., University of Minnesota (2010 – present).
Shell Chair-Holder in Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2007 – 2010).
Associate Professor of Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2007 – 2011).
Graduate Faculty in Physics, University of Minnesota (2005 – present).
Mayon Chair-Holder in Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2001 – 2004).
Assistant Professor of Materials Science, University of Minnesota (2001 – 2007).
Recent Publications (approx. 160 total)
1. “A unified view of the substitution-dependent antiferrodistortive phase transition in SrTiO3”, E. McCalla, J. Walter and C. Leighton, Chem. Mater. 28, 7973 (2016).
2. “Electrostatic vs. electrochemical doping and control of ferromagnetism in ion-gel-gated ultrathin La0.5Sr0.5CoO3-d”, J. Walter, H. Wang, C.D. Frisbie and C. Leighton, ACS Nano 10, 7799 (2016).
3. “Emergent reduced dimensionality by vertex frustration in tetris artificial spin ice”, I. Gilbert, Y. Lao. L. O’Brien, J.D. Watts, M. Manno, C. Leighton, A. Scholl, C. Nisoli and P. Schiffer, Nat. Phys. 12, 162 (2016).
4. “Simultaneous first-order valence and oxygen vacancy order/disorder transitions in (Pr0.85Y0.15)0.7Ca0.3CoO3-d via analytical transmission electron microscopy”, A. Gulec, D.P. Phelan, C. Leighton and R.F. Klie, ACS Nano 10, 938 (2016).
5. “Self-regulation of Cu/Sn ratio in the synthesis of Cu2ZnSnS4 films”, M. Johnson, C. Wrasman, X. Zhang, M. Manno, C. Leighton and E.S. Aydil, Chem. Mater. 27, 2507 (2015).
6. “Size-tuned ZnO nanocrucible arrays for magnetic nanodot synthesis via ALD-assisted block polymer lithography”, C.-H. Lin, S. Polisetty, L. O’Brien, A. Baruth, M.A. Hillmyer, C. Leighton and W.G. Gladfelter, ACS Nano 9, 1379 (2015).
7. “Sphericity and symmetry breaking in the formation of Frank-Kasper phases from one component materials”, S. Lee, C. Leighton and F.S. Bates, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 111, 17723 (2014) (Feature Article) (Cover Article).
8. “Alkali-metal-enhanced grain growth in Cu2ZnSnS4 thin films”, M. Johnson, S.V. Baryshev, E. Thimsen, M. Manno, I.V. Veryovkin, C. Leighton and E.S. Aydil, Energy and Environ. Sci. 7, 1931 (2014).
9. “Kondo physics in non-local metallic spin transport devices”, L. O’Brien, D. Spivak, M. Erickson, H. Ambaye, R.J. Goyette, V. Lauter, P.A. Crowell and C. Leighton, Nat. Commun. 5, 3927 (2014).
10. “High conductance transport at the Hall mobility peak in electrolyte-gated rubrene crystals”, W. Xie, S. Wang, X. Zhang, C. Leighton and C.D. Frisbie, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 246602 (2014).
Vice-Chair, Topical Group on Magnetism and its Applications (GMAG), American Physical Society (2015); General Chair, Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (MMM) Conference (2014); Secretary, Neutron Scattering Society of America (2011 - present); Presenter, “The Deep Freeze: Cryogenics and the Properties of Matter” outreach presentation, Lake Harriett Community School, Minneapolis, MN (2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010); Contributor, “Why?” TV show on the PI’s research, St. Paul Neighborhood Network (2014); Volunteer, Science Museum of Minnesota “Nano Days” exhibit (2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010).roughness dominated pinning mechanism of magnetic vortices in soft ferromagnetic films”, T-Y. Chen, M.J. Erickson, P.A. Crowell and C. Leighton, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 097202 (2012).
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
· Collaborators and Co-authors (previous 4 years)
(i) Collaborators and Co-Editors (previous 4 years J. Barker (NIST), A. Berger (NanoGUNE, Spain), P. Blaha (Vienna, Austria), G. Boebinger (NHMFL), J.A. Borchers (NIST), R.J. Cava (Princeton), C.L. Chien (Johns Hopkins), H. Christen (Oak Ridge), P. Dowben (Nebraska), J. Eckert (Harvey-Mudd), S. El-Khatib (Sharjah, UAE), C. Fennie (Cornell), M. Fitzsimmons (Los Alamos), E.E. Fullerton (UC San Diego), J. Gazquez (Barcelona, Spain), S. Giblin (ISIS, UK), P.S. Halasyamani (Houston), M. Hoch (NHMFL), Q. Huang (NIST), A. Huq (Oak Ridge), R. Klie (Illinois), V. Lauter (Oak Ridge), K. Liu (UC Davis), J. Lynn (NIST), S. Maat (Hitachi GST), R. McQueeney (Oak Ridge), J. Mitchell (Argonne), W. Moulton (NHMFL (deceased)), D. Norris (ETH Zurich, Switzerland), S. Pantiledes (Vanderbilt), S.J. Pennycook (Oak Ridge), Y. Ren (Argonne), N. Samarth (Penn State), J. Santamaria (Madrid, Spain), P. Schiffer (Illinois), H. Srikanth (South Florida), V. Srivastava (GE), Y. Suzuki (Stanford), I. Terry (Durham, UK), J.-U. Thiele (Seagate), M. Varela (Oak Ridge).
(ii) Graduate Advisors and Post-doctoral Sponsors Graduate: Dr. Ian Terry, Durham University. Post-Doc.: Prof. Ivan Schuller, UC San Diego.
(iii) Thesis advisor and Post-graduate Scholar Sponsor Current graduate students: Mr. J. Dewey, Mr. L. Wang (co-advised), Mr. V. Chaturvedi, Mr. W. Postiglione, Mr. B. Voigt (co-advised), Mr. A. Albrecht, Ms. H. Wang (co-advised), Mr. J. Watts (co-advised), Mr. K. Ganguly (co-advised), Mr. J. Walter (co-advised). Former graduate students: Mr. Y. Yang (M.Sc. 2016, Rice U.), Mr. F. Mork, Ms. A Khaleel, Dr. Xin Zhang (Ph.D. 2015, Lam Research), Dr. P. Ambwani (Ph.D. 2015, Intel), Mr. S. Bose (Ph.D. 2014, Intel), Mr. C. Rice (M.Sc. 2014), Mr. D. Spivak (Cloudera), Dr. M. Erickson (Ph.D. 2013, Intel), Mr. T. Gulden (M.Sc. 2012, UMN), Prof. M. Manno (Ph.D. 2011, UMN), Dr. M. Sharma (Ph.D. 2010, Dow), Mr. A. Spinelli (M.Sc. 2009, 3M), Dr. C. He (Ph.D. 2009, Intel), Ms. M. Haugen, Prof. M. Lund (Ph.D. 2006, Bemidji State University), Dr. J. Wu (Ph.D. 2006, Western Digital), Prof. L. Wang (Ph.D. 2006, Nanyang Technological University). Current post-docs: Joe Batley, Eric McCalla. Former post-docs: Dr. V. Faramarzi, Prof. L. O’Brien (University of Cambridge), Dr. S. Polisetty (Trans-Tech Inc.), Dr. D. Phelan (Argonne National Lab), Prof. M. Manno (UMN), Dr. K. Bhatti (GE), Prof. S. Wang (Shanghai Jiao Tong University), Prof. A. Baruth (Creighton University), Prof. S. El-Khatib (American University of Sharjah), Dr. Ruifang Wang, Dr. M. Torija (NVE Inc.), Dr. J. Parker (Gillette).
· Graduate and Post-Doctoral Advisors
Graduate: Dr. Ian Terry, Durham University. Post-Doc.: Prof. Ivan Schuller, UC San Diego.
· Thesis Advisor and Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor (*co-advised)
Current grad students: Mr. J. Dewey, Mr. L. Wang*, Mr. V. Chaturvedi, Mr. W. Postigione, Mr. B. Voigt*, Mr. A. Albrecht, Ms. H. Wang*, Mr. K. Ganguly*, Mr. J. Walter*. Former grad students: Mr. Y. Yang (M.Sc. 2016), Dr. X. Zhang (Ph.D. 2015), Dr. P. Ambwani (Ph.D. 2015), Mr. S. Bose (Ph.D. 2014), Prof. L. Wang (Ph.D. 2006), Dr. J. Wu (Ph.D. 2006), Dr. M. Lund (Ph.D. 2006), Ms. M. Haugen, Dr. C. He (Ph.D. 2009), Mr. A. Spinelli (M.Sc. 2009), Dr. M. Sharma (Ph.D. 2010), Dr. M. Manno (Ph.D. 2011), Mr. T. Gulden (M.Sc. 2012). Current post-docs: Dr. Joe Batley, Dr. Eric McCalla. Former post-docs: Prof. L. O’Brien, Dr. D. Phelan, Prof. M. Manno, Dr. K. Bhatti, Dr. S. Wang, Prof. A. Baruth, Prof. S. El-Khatib, Prof. R. Wang, Dr. J. Parker, Dr. M. Torija.
Selected Awards and Honors
Amundson Chair Holder in Chem. Eng. and Mat. Sci., University of Minnesota (2014 – present).; Distinguished McKnight University Professorship, University of Minnesota (2014); George W. Taylor Distinguished Research Award, University of Minnesota (2013); APS Fellow (2012); APS Outstanding Referee (2012); “Emerging Leader” colloquium speaker, Materials Dept., UC Santa Barbara (2008); McKnight Presidential Fellow, UMN (2007); Taylor Career Development Award, UMN (2007); Marconi Scholar, University of Denver (2006); Institute of Technology Student Board Award, UMN (2003); Russell Prize for Applied Physics, University of Durham, UK (1998).
Chair, Magnetism and Magnetic Materials (MMM) Conference Advisory Committe (2015); MMM Conference General Chair (2014); Organizer, APS March Meeting Focus Topic on Magnetic Oxide Thin Films and Heterostructures (2013); Secretary, Neutron Scattering Society of America (2011 - 2015); Editor, MMM conference, Scottsdale, AZ (2011); Joint MMM/Intermag conference Program Chair (2010); Co-organizer, Telluride Workshop on Transition Metal Oxides (2009); Member, MMM conference Advisory Committee (2008-present) and Program Committee (2005 - 2011); Organizer, APS March Meeting Focus Topic on Complex Multi-functional Oxides (2006); Member, executive committee, APS Topical Group on Magnetism (GMAG) (2005 – 2008); Member, Proposal Review Committee for Oak Ridge Center for Nanophase Materials Science (2006 – 2011), Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (2006 – present), and Argonne Center for Nano Materials (2007 – present).